1. Newspaper headline on the passing this week of country music legend George Jones:
2. Don’t know whether Mr. Jones ever used the word “contrarian” in his life, but he did sing this line in “I Don’t Need Your Rocking Chair”:
I do my rockin’ on the stage / You can’t put this possum in a cage
3. And the great Merle Haggard had this to say, along with a snapshot, via Twitter:
It’s an astounding compliment from one country legend to another and fitting, too, for the original “high-tech redneck.”
4. Mr. Jones hung around long enough to earn two mighty fine nicknames – “No-Show,” for the many times he was supposed to headline a concert but didn’t quite make it to the stage, and “Possum,” according to the Nashville Tennessean, “because of his marsupial resemblance.” (Is this a compliment in country circles? Regardless, the name stuck.)
5. Bing “What brand of riding lawn mower was george jones riding when he was arrested for a dui?” and you’ll get the answer.Crazy photo of him with Tammy Wynette and Little Richard (left).
8. Who’s gonna fill his shoes? Nobody.